Words: Jess Graves | Photos: Caroline Fontenot | Styling: Candice Beaty
Our Big, Bad Southern Gift Guides continue with the men in mind. We scoured the South, the web and our beau's brains for the kind of stuff the guys in your life actually want to receive, then field tested it for approval with the guys in our lives. These are the gifts that got the highest marks.
1. When you think Southern Tide, the word "fratty" might come to mind. But we were surprised to find that once we looked past the skipjack polos, the brand has some pretty adult offerings. Case in point: this super slick quilted bomber jacket. We styled it with some fitted Bonobos jeans in a smart (and surprisingly neutral) shade of rust.
2. For the guy who’s into his everyday carry, a knife is essential. We like this one by Santa Fe Stoneworks, crafted from dinosaur bone (Brontosaurus, to be exact), jet black amber and sixteen layers of Damascus steel–rendering it just as useful as it is cool.
Santa Fe Ironworks dinosaur bone + amber single blade, 89.98 huckberry.com
3. Every guy we tried this Out of Hand koozie on asked if he could keep it. Made from soft leather and decorated with a gold shotgun shell, it probably won’t keep your drink too cold, but who needs that in the winter, anyway?
Leather shotgun shell koozie, 24.00 shop.theartofcreating.com
4. Charleston’s Brackish crafts formal accouterments from the plumes shed from pheasants and other fine feathered friends. We don’t think there’s anything quite like them. Nothing (we repeat, nothing) looks cooler with a tux, but we admit; it’ll take a pretty confident guy to pull this off. Case in point: Bill Murray's a fan.
Brackish pheasant bow tie, 185.00 taigan.com
5. If you've paid attention to The Love List at all this year, you probably picked up on how much we've been into Nashville-based band Great Peacock. Some other releases on our heavy rotation include offerings from Caleb Caudle, Have Gun Will Travel, St. Paul and the Broken Bones, Sturgill Simpson and Jason Isbell. The warmth of vinyl, man... it's a richer tone. If you're really going all out, we think this stack would wrap up nice with a sweet turntable.
Great Peacock - Making Ghosts (vinyl) 21.00, Have Gun Will Travel - Fiction, Fact or Folktale? (vinyl) 17.00, Blue Blood - This is the Life (vinyl) 17.00, St. Paul and the Broken Bones - Half the City (vinyl) 16.98, Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country (vinyl) 16.98, Jason Isbell - Something More Than Free (vinyl) 24.98
U-Turn Orbit turntable, 308.98 huckberry.com
6. Our music loving team agrees that one of the best purchases we've made in the past couple of years are our SONOS Play 1 speakers. You can start with one and grow your system to every area of the house, then control the whole thing (which will stream everything from your iTunes library to Spotify) room-by-room from your smartphone, desktop or tablet.
7. We know plenty of men in fully grown bodies who sometimes still act like they're 12 years old. Encourage his inner child with a playful old-fashioned rubber band gun by Elastic Precision - this one's modeled after the classic Walther PPK handgun made famous by James Bond.
Elastic Precision PPK rubber band gun, 24.98 huckberry.com
8. We've long loved the cheeky needlepoint offerings from our friends at Smathers & Branson. For New Year's Eve, we love the idea of slipping this dapper flask into your tux jacket. We're also eyeing a wallet that makes clear what's inside and this key fob for the bourbon nerd in your circle.
11. American Spirit's white whiskey is made in Atlanta and mixes easy with just about anything. We like a "Southern Mule", their twist on a Moscow Mule, which subs white whiskey for vodka.
American Spirit ultra-filtered white whiskey, 29.00 americanspiritwhiskey.com
12. Nothing is more charming than a man who carries a hankie. One of our favorite discoveries this year has been a small accessory line out of Thomasville, Georgia called Fly Formal, who make 'em emblazoned with sporty prints and handsome hunting scenes.
Fly Formal Swedish fish hankie, 15.00 flyformal.com
14. Some of the best gifts are ones that elevate the ordinary. Every guy needs a comb, why not a cool one?
Bixby comb, 23.98 huckberry.com