NARS Global Director of Artistry James Boehmer. Photo courtesy NARS Global.
NARS recently swung open its sleek doors in Buckhead much to the delight of longtime local customers and fans (myself included). NARS' chic Global Director of Artistry (and complete makeup wizard) James Boehmer is based in New York, but the brand's new location in Atlanta's given him the opportunity to delve into the city on a deeper level. I thought it was a great excuse to pick his brain. - JG
1. I'm a big fan of Dries Van Noten. His mix of patterns and takes on classic silhouettes is always spot on. I love that his pieces are always classics, and mix well from season to season. I'm in love with all of his Marilyn Monroe prints from the Spring 2016 collection, which I was perusing recently at Jeffrey.
2. I definitely have a bit of a sunglasses addiction, and Céline frames are always perfect. I am alternating between a few pair this season, one of which I picked up at Saks Atlanta. Sunglasses are the easiest way to change up your look aside from swapping out your lipstick color.
3. Converse All Stars are the only sneakers I've worn since high school. White or black low tops literally work with anything you wear. The more beat up the better.
The new NARS boutique in Buckhead Atlanta. Photo vourtesy NARS Global.
4. I have a bit of a problem with face sprays, and really skincare in general. Herbivore Rose Hibiscus Hydrating Spray is my current fave. The coconut water leaves the skin incredibly hydrated and the scent is amazing.
5. Ben Gorham's scents for Byredo are the best. I am currently wearing Mojave Ghost. The violet notes mixed with cedar and sandalwood create a subtle halo off scent that floats off the skin. I get more attention from this fragrance than almost anything I've ever worn! (Ed note: read Byredo founder Ben Gorham's list here.)
6. NARS' Monoi candle evokes the amazing feeling of François Nars’ island paradise in Tahiti. This candle is the next best thing to being there!
COVER Books in Atlanta. Image by Andrew Thomas Lee via Bon Appetit.
7. I have a fondness for crystals and their healing benefits - it's the inner witch in me I suppose. I always have a few stones in my pocket, they help me to feel focused and centered and are beautiful objects in their own right. I loved exploring Crystal Blue on Euclid Ave in Atlanta's Little Five Points.
8. I'm a huge collector of books and love to dig through vintage books whenever I'm visiting a new city. COVER Books is my Atlanta obsession. I've found so many treasures - a recent favorite is "108 Portraits" by Gus Van Sant, which is one I've been searching for for years!
9. Green juice will cure anything that ails you. Kale Me Crazy is Atlanta's best.
10. I have a fairly dedicated yoga practice in New York and it's hard to maintain when I travel. What I love most about my practice is the community aspect of it, so I'm always searching for the best classes when I'm on the road. I love Define Body for their blend of Vinyasa, Pilates and dance- and you definitely work up a sweat!